Saturday 17 March 2012

Korean Food that will make you "Kim Baek" for more


I love to eat. That is a fact. Eating has been engraved to my whole being. Through the years of training (mostly with my mom, aunts and my wife), I have developed a very strong sense of duty to go and find places where I can satisfy my gastronomic needs. So, when Bianca (my sister) told me about Kim Baek, this Korean place she always goes, I automatically got curious..... and that's that.



The place is small yet functional. The staff is very polite and always sees to it that you are comfortable and is eager to please. Even though the menu is small, it is sure to make a big impression. I am not too familiar with Korean food. The only Korean that I have tasted before coming to Canada was kimchi from Tats (way back in my fraternity days), but Kim Baek serves great Korean food (don't ask me if it's authentic or not.... I just know they're sooooo gooood) and in very good sized servings.

We haven't tried everything from the menu yet but these are must tries:
  1. Gamjatang - Pork neck bones and potatoes in spicy soup. The bones may be a bit of a hassle but getting the soft and tasty meat in between is so worth it.
  2. Haimool Pajun - A platter sized omelette filled with bits of squid and veggies. It has a very subtle tase that compliments the spicy gamjatang
  3. Japchan - Transparent noodles with beef and veggies. It has a very good combination of tastes and textures.
  4. Beef Bulgogi / LA Beef - Sweet and tender grilled beef ribs.
Accompanying your order is a set of four all-you-can-eat complimentary side dishes consisting of sweet and spicy seaweed, bean sprouts, potatoes in sweet sauce, kimchi and a bowl of rice for each.

Prices are reasonable and service is very good. Parking space is a little bit limited and you might want to call in advance since there tends to be a line waiting for you. Yup, its that good.


Kim Baek
193 Isabel St., Winnipeg MB



No comments:

Post a Comment