Sunday 4 March 2012

The Geek that I am......

Mandalorian Merc
Its Sunday, the weather is nice (relatively nice at -10 degrees) and nothing to do. Did most of the laundry last night and finished reading a book. So I decided to just go out and see what I can do. Just when I was about to close the door I remembered that today was the last day of the Winnipeg  Comics and Toy Convention (C4). So I got my camera and headed off to a small piece of geek heaven called Comic-Con.


This is actually my first time going to a comic convention and I'm not too sure what to expect. Sure, I've seen the photos and clips in youtube and the TV; but this is Winnipeg..... most of the stuff I know about comic cons are from articles for events that happened in New York, Toronto, California, and other BIGGER places. So I was expecting the Winnipeg con to be a little different. Well, it was. But it wasn't that bad. For 7 bucks, I was treated to something pretty cool.





The Winnipeg con was smaller. It had about 20 - 30 stalls littered with so many goodies that would make you drool. All around you can see vast quantities of comic books, anime stuff, toys, graphic artists, henna tattoos, costumes, books and geeky merchandise. I immediately went to the comic book stalls. I saw one guy (damn him) buy a Journey into Mystery #84 - first appearance of Thor.....daaaaamn!!!! I spent most of the time there taking pictures and talking to most of the vendors and artists. It was a small and sort of personal affair. Most of the people there are about ages 30 - 40. I was expecting pimply faced teenagers but what I saw was a very mature and intelligent group of people. So that was a surprise.







Michael Dorn
Before leaving, I got the chance to sit in (well stand in) an interview session with Star Trek: The Next Generation's very own Lt. Worf, Michael Dorn. He was the direct opposite of his character. He was very sociable and pleasant to talk to as opposed to Worf's almost stoic personality / appearance. He talked about the pleasures of working on Star Trek and his other projects (I didn't know he did the voice for Weasel in the I. M. Weasel cartoon in cartoon network). I'm not a big Star Trek fan (sorry guys, even though episodes 1 - 3 weren't that great, I am still a big Star Wars Fan) I had fun listening to him.

The Winnipeg con was a blast. I'll make sure that I go the next one on November. 'Nuff said.


You can view the photos here.



No comments:

Post a Comment